![]() |
| Lawn culture (Left) Iso Streak (Right) YAY SCIENCE!!!! |
This past week was filled with lots of learning through trial and error. At the beginning of the week, I was tasked with identifying an unknown bacteria. In preparation for this challenge, I learned about the process of streak plating bacteria using two techniques, the Streak Plate method and the Lawn Culture technique. After isolating the unknown bacteria and allowing them to incubate for a few days, I learned about the Gram Staining process which would aid in the identification of the unknown bacteria. After multiple attempts of gram staining the unknown bacteria, it was identified as having a gram positive cell wall. I believe I was having challenges with the gram staining process for three possible reasons: I didn't allow my unknown bacteria to dry fully on the slide, I used too much de-colorizer, and/or my bacteria spread was too thick. With this processes I was able to figure out that my unknown bacteria is gram positive and has a rod-like cell morphology. Next week, I will continue the process of identifying my unknown bacteria by performing an Endospore stain to see if the bacteria contains any spores.

No comments:
Post a Comment