The Start of My S-STEM AdventureThis week marked the kick-off of my S-Stem internship. I focused on learning about safety protocols in the laboratory and research ethics via online tutorials. The safety protocol videos covered topics such as: hazardous chemical storage and organization, chemical spill clean-up procedures, and the emergency evacuation process. The online ethics tutorials reviewed information over research rights and obligations; Collaboration, Communication, and Grants Management; and Intellectual Property. One new piece of information I learned this week is that elements of research can be protected as intellectual property. Additionally, I was shocked to learn that the average cost of patenting intellectual property can exceed well over $10,000. That is so expensive!!!! This week, I was also provided with the opportunity to apply to be a part of a Western Alliance To Expand Student Opportunities project. The project's focus is comparing leaf microbiome of wild Larrea tridentata versus those growing in urban areas. If granted the opportunity, I will be able to learn more about Larrea tridentata. As of now, the only information I know about Larrea tridentata is that it is a Creosote bush which contributes to the "Desert rain smell" that I love so much!
Image credit: gocomics.com
No comments:
Post a Comment